I am Research Director at NIESR in London and a Professor of Economics at the University of Warwick. I am also an Emeritus Distinguished Professor of Economics at UCLA. You can find links here to my books, my published papers, my working papers and my CV as a pdf file. I also write a blog, Roger Farmer's Economic Window where I post thoughts, comments and op ed pieces.
I am on the Management Team of Rebuilding Macroeconomics, an ESRC sponsored Network Plus located at NIESR. I am also a co-leader of the Instability hub along with Jean-Philippe Bouchaud of École Polytechnique. Rebuilding Macroeconomics is charged with funding creative new ideas in macroeconomics that are relevant for economic policy. Watch out on this space for calls for proposals.
Call for Papers
On July 9th - 10th this year I will be running a conference at the Bank of England on "Economics and Psychology: New ways of thinking about economic policy". Here is a link to the CALL FOR PAPERS. Ben Broadbent will be opening the conference and Seppo Honkapohja, former Governor of the Bank of Finland, and a leader in the field of learning in economics will be a keynote speaker. Stay tuned to this page for additional distinguished participants. The submission deadline for papers is March 30th 2018.
- My paper "Keynesian Economics without the Phillips Curve", joint with Giovanni Nicolò, has been accepted for publication in the Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control.
- This paper remains a favourite of mine and is well worth a read. "The Natural Rate Hypothesis: An idea past its sell-by-date" Bank of England Quarterly Bulletin, September Q3, pages 244-256, 2013
- "Post Keynesian Dynamic Stochastic General equilibrium Theory" is now published in the European Journal of Economics and Economic Policies and is available ungated on the journal website courtesy of the publisher, Edward Elgar. The paper is a call for unity between New-Keynesians and Post-Keynesians.
New Working Papers
- Here is a link to a review essay I wrote on Mervyn King's book, "The End of Alchemy" for the Journal of Economic Literature which will be coming out in 2018.
- I have written a new paper Pricing Assets in a Perpetual Youth Model . This is an updated and much revised version of my NBER paper, Pricing Assets in an Economy with Two Types of people thanks to the comments of an editor and a reviewer for the Review of Economic Dynamics.
- Konstantin Platonov and I have revised our working paper, Animal Spirits in a Monetary Model.